- The 2013 schedule and map are available. The start date is April 22.
- Guidelines and restrictions are explained below.
- City Newsletter Insert 2013 (PDF).
The annual Large Item Pick-up Program held in April is intended to help residents dispose of LARGE, unwanted items. It is not intended to be used for cleaning out all sizes of unwanted items on an annual basis. The City WILL NOT pick up any small items which can be placed at the curb or in trash containers for weekly garbage collection. (Up to 60 lbs. of small items and materials can be placed curbside every week.) SMALL ITEMS AND TRASH WILL NOT BE COLLECTED AND THE ITEMS WILL BE TAGGED INFORMING THE PROPERTY OWNER OF THE PROPER METHOD OF DISPOSAL.
Items will be picked up from residential dwellings and apartments only. Items will not be picked up from businesses.
EXAMPLES OF LARGE ITEMS WHICH WILL BE PICKED UP
- Large furniture items
- Overstuffed chairs
- Pool tables
- Large grills
- Dining room tables
- Bathroom fixtures
- Water heaters
- Cabinets and countertops
- Large metal items
- Lawn mowers-gas & oil removed
- Small engines-gas & oil removed
Please DO NOT put out such things as upholstered furniture, mattresses and carpeting until your pick-up date. In the event of rain, these fabric-covered items become extremely heavy and because landfill fees are based on weight, clean-up costs increase.
ITEMS WHICH WILL NOT BE PICKED UP
- SMALL ITEMS AND MATERIALS such as vacuum cleaners, humidifiers, water hoses, luggage, toys, clothing, blankets, dining room chairs, plastic pails, radios, toasters, broken window panes, dehumidifiers, vacuum cleaners, up to 60 pounds of construction materials. Put out for weekly garbage collection.
- APPLIANCES such as televisions, refrigerators, air conditioners, microwave ovens, ranges/stoves, washers, dryers, freezers, dishwashers, vending machines, computers and monitors, water purifiers. Advanced Disposal (715-359-6637) will pick up appliances for a fee or they can be brought to the Marathon County Landfill, by appointment, for a fee. Please contact 715-446-3101 ext. 100 to make an appointment with the Marathon County Landfill. You may contact the Marathon County Solid Waste & Recycling information line at 1-877-270-3989 regarding fees.
- TIRES Residents may dispose of tires at tire dealers for a nominal fee or they can be brought to the Marathon County Landfill, by appointment, for a minimal fee. Please contact 715-446-3101 ext. 100 to make an appointment. You may contact the Marathon County Solid Waste & Recycling information line at 1-877-270-3989 regarding fees.
- HOUSEHOLD GARBAGE Put out for weekly garbage collection.
- BRUSH, TREE LIMBS AND OTHER TYPES OF YARD WASTE. Take to the yard waste site on Chellis Street (April - November),or contact Advanced Disposal at 715-359-6637 to participate in the yard waste pick-up program for a fee. NO root balls/tree stumps of any size will be picked up.
- LARGE QUANTITIES OF BUILDING MATERIALS AND ROOFING SHINGLES. Use a commercial dumpster or haul privately to Marathon County Landfill.
- ALUMINUM CANS, NEWSPAPER, MAGAZINES, GLASS CONTAINERS, CAR BATTERIES, OIL, PLASTIC CONTAINERS, AND CORRUGATED CARDBOARD. Recyclable items must be placed in the green recycling container for biweekly pick-up.
- FLUORESCENT LIGHT BULBS; HOUSEHOLD BATTERIES, LIQUID, HAZARDOUS OR TOXIC MATERIAL. These items may be taken to the Marathon County Clean Sweep/Hazardous Waste program by appointment ONLY (call 715-446-3101 ext. 100 to make an appointment). After making the appointment, bring the items to the Marathon County Landfill on Highway 29, about 12 miles east of Wausau. The Alderson Street facility is closed. Common hazardous waste accepted include: lawn and garden chemicals, cleaning solvents, automotive fluids, solvent-based adhesives, glues, mercury products, degreasers, and lead-based paints. (No latex or non-lead oil paints accepted.) Call the toll-free information line at 1-877-270-3989 with questions.
- TRASH BAGS, CONTAINERS, DRUMS OR BARRELS CONTAINING UNKNOWN MATERIAL. Dispose of properly as noted above.
- HOME-GENERATED SHARPS (NEEDLES, SYRINGES AND LANCETS ONLY) may only be taken to the Marathon County Landfill Clean Sweep program (call ahead 715-446-3101 ext. 100) in Sharps containers purchased at pharmacies or in a heavy plastic laundry detergent bottle, with a screw on lid, marked in big letters with permanent marker "Bio-Hazard" or "Sharps". Medical waste may not be deposited in garbage containers or recycling bins. Please call the toll-free information line at 1-877-270-3989 with questions.
If you have questions about what is acceptable or unacceptable for Large Item Pick-up, call 715-261-6960. All material should be placed at curbside by 7:00 a.m. on the scheduled pick-up day. If your property is missed, call 715-261-6960 on the day after your scheduled pick-up.
|DO NOT place items for Large Item Pick-up at the curbside until the day before the scheduled pick-up day. Doing so can create an unsightly, hazardous situation and increases the city's disposal costs if items get waterlogged. Store the material in a garage or elsewhere until that time. Persons placing material at the curbside more than 24 hours prior to their collection day shall be subject to a fine of up to $200.00 for each offense (each day a violation occurs), or shall be subject to having the material removed at a cost to the property owner. No person may bring material for disposal into the city from property outside the city. Violators will be subject to a fine of up to $200 for each offense.