Pre-Register to Vote:
Save time and get preregistered to vote. If you have moved or changed your name since the last time you voted or if it has been over four years since you voted, you will need to reregister. City of Wausau residents may register by mail during open registration (no less than 20 days prior to each election) or at City Hall, in the City Clerk’s Office, during late registration. State law prohibits voter registration the Saturday, Sunday, and Monday before an election, but voters may still register at the polls on Election Day.
Proof of address is required with every voter registration. The Clerk’s Office is not allowed to process voter registration forms without proof of address provided by the voter. The following documents can be used as proof of address:
- Utility bill issued within the last 90 days.
- Bank or credit union statement.
- Current and valid Wisconsin driver license or Wisconsin identification card.
- Real estate tax bill or receipt for the current year or the previous year.
- Document issued by a unit of government.
- Check issued by a unit of government.
- College fee statement issued in the last nine months, accompanied by student ID card.
- Affidavit from a public or private social service agency, on letterhead, identifying an individual who is homeless and indicating where that individual resides.
- Official identification card or license issued by a Wisconsin governmental body or unit
- Identification card issued by an employer in the normal course of business, which has a photograph of the cardholder, but not a business card.
- Residential lease effective on the day of registration (cannot be used if registering to vote by mail).
- You may check Voter Registration Records online by searching name and date of birth.
- If your registration is not accurate or current, you need to update your information by completing a voter registration form EL-131 Form: English Hmong Spanish.
Where Can I see a sample ballot?
To find your sample ballot, go to https://myvote.wi.gov.
Absentee Ballots and Early Voting
Request an absentee ballot:
City of Wausau electors who are unwilling or unable to vote at their polling location may vote absentee in the Office of the City Clerk located at 407 Grant Street starting approximately 2 weeks prior to Election Day and ending the Friday prior to Election Day. To obtain an absentee ballot by mail, your request must be in writing. The last day for mailing absentee ballots is the Thursday prior to Election Day. Ballots must be returned to the City Clerk by no later than Election Day. In person absentee voting is available in the office of the City Clerk up to and including the Friday prior to Election Day during office hours (8:00 am-4:30 pm).
- Spring Primary (if required) February 16, 2016
- Presidential Preference & Spring Election April 5, 2016
- Partisan Primary August 9, 2016
- General Election November 8, 2016
For More Information and Election Night Results visit the web site of the Marathon County Clerk.
To see the number of provisional ballots as of 8:00 pm, November 8, 2016 click here.
- All six polling place locations in the City of Wausau open at 7:00 am. and close at 8:00 pm.
- All sites are accessible to elderly and disabled voters.
- Election results are unofficial until the official canvass has been completed.
- Voter registration during the late registration period must occur in person at the Office of the City Clerk or in person at the Polling Site on Election Day. Late registration begins after the third Wednesday prior to Election day and ends the Friday prior to Election day. Voter registration requires acceptable proof of residency.
- GENERAL ELECTION: NOVEMBER 8, 2016 Turn Out
- PARTISAN PRIMARY ELECTION: AUGUST 9, 2016 Turn Out
- PRESIDENITAL PRIMARY SPRING ELECTION: APRIL 5, 2016 Turn Out
- SPRING ELECTION: APRIL 7, 2015 Turn out
- GENERAL ELECTION: NOVEMBER 4, 2014 Turn out
- PARTISAN PRIMARY: AUGUST 12, 2014Turn Out
- SPRING ELECTION: APRIL 1, 2014 Turn out
- SPRING ELECTION: APRIL 2, 2013 Turn Out
- SPRING PRIMARY: FEBRUARY 19, 2013 Turn Out
- PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION: November 6, 2012 Turn Out
- PARTISAN PRIMARY: August 14, 2012 Turn Out
- RECALL ELECTION: June 5, 2012 Turn Out
- RECALL PRIMARY: MAY 8, 2012 Turn out
To comment on the content of this page, please contact Toni Rayala, City Clerk at 261-6620.