Parking and Traffic Citations:
Credit Card Payments may be made through Official Payments Corporation. You may call 1-800-272-9829 Jurisdiction Code 5813 or through the internet. A receipt will be mailed.

Since most people are concerned about appearing in Court, here are rules and procedures to help you understand how the Court functions.


The Municipal Court has jurisdiction of juveniles between 12 and 16 years of age charged with non-traffic ordinance violations. Juveniles have the same rights as adults with respect to pleas. They have a right to a private (closed) hearing, but may waive this right. The Court recommends that a parent or guardian be present with the juvenile.

A juvenile found Guilty of a non-traffic ordinance violation is subject to a money judgment, order of restitution and/or a specified number of hours in a supervised work program, or other dispositions. If the juvenile fails to comply with the Court's dispositional orders, his/her driver's, hunting and fishing licenses may be suspended. If the offense is alcohol related, the driver's license of the defendant may be suspended regardless of payment.


The trial procedure is as follows: The prosecution will produce its witnesses to testify as to the facts and circumstances surrounding your case. You or your lawyer will be permitted to cross examine each witness. “Cross examination” means asking the witness questions to obtain facts; it is not when your case is argued or when the defendant makes a statement. When the prosecution has completed its case, you and your witnesses will be given the opportunity to testify and will be subjected to cross examination by the prosecution. After all the evidence has been presented, the prosecution and the defense will be given an opportunity to summarize their respective cases to the Court through brief argument. Thereafter, the Court will determine whether you are Guilty or Not Guilty. If the court finds you Not Guilty, you will be discharged and the complaint against you dismissed. If you are found Guilty, the court will impose a penalty, taking into consideration the seriousness of the violation, the hazardous condition, if any, that may have existed at the time, and your past record. If necessary, you may request time to pay the forfeiture and costs.


If you are found Guilty after Trial, you have the right to appeal your case to the Marathon County Circuit Court. All appeals must be filed in writing within twenty (20) days after judgment. If you fail to meet this time limit, you have lost your right to appeal. Appeal fee, forfeiture and costs must be posted upon filing the appeal. You have the right to a Jury Trial on appeal, upon payment of appropriate fees.


Disclaimer of Liability: The Wausau Municipal Court presents the information on this web site as a service parties appearing in our Court and other Internet users. While the information on this site is about legal issues, it is not legal advice. Moreover, due to the rapidly changing nature of the law and our reliance on information provided by outside sources, we make no warranty or guarantee concerning the accuracy or reliability of the content at this site or at other sites to which we link.