Mayor Biographies and Photos

Wausau officially became a city on April 2, 1872. Its citizens have elected the Mayor as their Chief Administrative Official to provide leadership and guidance to our great city from that point forward. Since the days of horse and buggy, our city has continued to grow and flourish because great leaders like those listed below provided their vision, strength, collaboration and leadership to effect that purpose. Today’s Mayors care just as deeply about the health and prosperity of our City as those Mayors of yesteryear. We celebrate our Mayors with the following biographical detail. ( Comments )

Special thanks goes to Bill Hart and the Marathon County Historical Society, who provided many of the photos and biographical data for our Mayors of yesteryear. We appreciate your cooperative efforts!
Note: Click mayor photos to view larger originals

# Mayor Biography
44

James E. Tipple

James E.
Tipple

• 2004 - Present

James E. Tipple was born in Madison Wisconsin on July 10, 1947, the son of Edwin and Edith Tipple. He graduated from the University of Wisconsin, Stevens Point in 1969 with a degree in Business Administration and Economics. After graduation Jim moved to Wausau and fell in love with the area.

He retired after working more than 20 years as the manager of Information technology at Wausau Insurance Companies. He successfully ran for Mayor, without any previous political experience, because he wanted to give back to his community. His strong business background has been an asset during his term as Mayor.

Mayor Tipple attributes his leadership strength to his ability to incorporate humor in all aspects of his life. This is evidenced by the "easy button" he keeps in his office. Jim has been active in the community serving on many boards, committees and civic organizations and strongly believes volunteers can "make the difference" in our community. Mayor Tipple advocates Wausau as a great place to live because of the good schools, flourishing economy, diverse business climate, quality of life and beautiful outdoors!

Jim and his wife Patricia (Pixie) were blessed with two children, Bradley and Jennifer. Jim and Pixie currently reside in the City of Wausau.Top

43

Linda E. Lawrence

Linda E.
Lawrence

• 2000
• 1998

Linda E. Lawrence was born in the City of Wausau on July 7, 1948, the daughter of Donald and Elaine Moseman. She graduated from Wausau High School in 1966 and graduated Cum Laude from the University of Wisconsin Stevens Point in 1997 with a degree in Social Sciences. She worked for Fed Ex before becoming the Mayor of Wausau in 1998.

Prior to her service as Mayor, Linda served as City Alderperson for District 8 from April 1986 to April 1998, at which time she was elected and sworn into office as the City's first female Mayor. Linda was most known for her sense of humor, direct style and citizen-involvement approach to governance. Her ability to jump start downtown redevelopment led to major progress in its revitalization including creation of the Main Street program and continuance of Wausau Area Events.

Linda has a proud family history of cattle ranchers and dairy farmers. Her favorite post-mayoral activities include playing with her grandson, Olivier, dabbling in real estate projects and travel. Linda is blessed with two children, Michael and Claire. She currently resides in City of Wausau, Marathon County.

Top

42

Jim Schaefer

Jim
Schaefer

• 1997

Jim K. Schaefer was born on November 5, 1946, the son of Kenneth A. and Kathleen J. Schaefer. Jim graduated from Wausau High School in 1965 and went to work as a salesman in the field of manufactured food sales.

Prior to his service as Interim Mayor, Jim served as City Alderman for District 9 from April 19, 1988 to November 25, 1997. Following the resignation of Mayor John Hess, the common council decided they would consider applicants for the position of Interim Mayor who would not be running for mayor in the next year’s election so as not to give any candidate an unfair advantage. Jim K. Schaefer, a member of the council at the time, applied and was elected by the common council to serve. Jim’s service to the City followed a very controversial time in the City’s history when a proposed city-owned hotel and convention center was met with strong public opposition. Jim was effective in healing the rift between those who supported the Century project, including himself, and those who didn’t, by acknowledging its failure and accepting it with humor. Jim was a light hearted, cheerful mayor whose service to the City was purposefully short but crucial at the time. He served in the Interim Mayor capacity until Mayor Linda Lawrence was elected and sworn into office on April 21, 1998.

Jim met and married his wife Susan Schulstrom, on November 25, 1972 and they were blessed with two daughters, Maggie and Emily. Since retirement, Jim says he now has the time to spend on his life long passions for antique automobiles and going up north to his cabin on the lake. Jim and his wife Susan currently reside in the Town of Stettin, and can occasionally be seen driving around town in their 1957 Desert Glow "not pink" Oldsmobile or their 1930 tan and black "Model A" Sedan.

Top

41

John Hess

John
Hess

• 1996 - 1997
• 1992

John D. Hess was born in Rhinelander on August 24, 1951, son of Arvin & Nora Marie (Williams) Hess, in a family of engineers. He graduated from UW Madison in 1975 with a degree in civil and environmental engineering. He worked for the city of Oshkosh as a staff engineer before coming to Wausau in 1979.

In Wausau, he immediately joined the engineering department with the City of Wausau on January 8, 1979 when he was hired as a civil engineer. He was promoted to city engineer on July 11, 1983, and the city became the focus of his life’s work. Among his many positions within the workings of government, John was a member of the Marathon County Board. He was elected mayor of Wausau in April 1992 and was re-elected to a second term in 1996. In late 1997 he resigned from his post as mayor and went to work for Central Wisconsin Engineers & Architects. In June 2003, Mr. Hess came back to the city as their director of public works where he worked until his death of a heart attack on November 30, 2004 when he was just 53 years old.

John and his wife Joan, were blessed with two daughters, Adrienne and Emily. John is buried in the Forest Home Cemetery in Rhinelander.

On September 16, 2005, a sky walk linking the Jefferson Street Ramp with the Jefferson Street Inn Hotel was named the John D. Hess Sky Bridge and officially dedicated in honor of John’s legacy and dedication to the citizens of Wausau for his 25 years of public service. John believed in action and placed a high priority on his passion for doing what was not only "right" but what was "best for the citizens of Wausau".Top

40

John Robinson

John
Robinson

• 1988

John H. Robinson was born in Wausau on July 25, 1955, the second of eight children born to Dale and Nancy Robinson. He attended UW Marathon County from 1973-75 and UW Stevens Point from 1975-1977 studying political science. In 1974, at the age of eighteen he was elected to represent the 2nd District on the Wausau City Council and the Marathon County Board. From 1981 to 1988 he served as a member of the Wisconsin Assembly representing the 85th Assembly District and in 1988 he was elected Mayor where he served for four years.

John was the youngest person elected to the Wausau City Council and the Marathon County Board. He spent his early years in office working on expanding the openness of government through district meetings and fighting for compliance with the open meetings law. As Mayor he worked to institute policies that resulted in the City being run more like a business include instituting department head meeting, developing a capital improvement plan, expanding the Wausau West Industrial Park, revitalization of housing and publishing the first city newsletter.

Since leaving the office of Mayor, John has worked on environmental projects, currently serving as a supervisor in the DNR's Remediation & Redevelopment Program. In 2005 he was elected to represent the 3rd District on the Marathon County Board of Supervisors.

He and his wife Mary live at 821 Franklin St. They have three children, C.J., Michael and Elizabeth and three grandchildren. They enjoy walking through the downtown area and kayaking on the Wisconsin River.Top

39

John Kannenberg

John
Kannenberg

• 1984
• 1980
• 1976
• 1972
• 1968
• 1964

John Kannenberg was born in the town of Texas, Marathon County, Wisconsin on December 19, 1919, son of Ernest and Rose (Fischer) Kannenberg. He grew up on a farm and eventually moved into an apartment in Wausau so he could obtain his high school diploma.

He worked as a monument salesman in his family-owned granite business

John Kannenberg was married in Merrill, WI on September 23, 1939 to Ella Rose Parent. Their marriage was blessed with four children, all boys. He was a member of the Loyal Order of Moose, the Elks, Breakfast Optimists, the March of Dimes and the United Commercial Travelers.

Mr. Kannenberg served the state of Wisconsin as a president of the Wisconsin League on Municipalities, and on boards and commissions under four governors. On August 1966 Mr. Kannenberg received the Moose Pilgrim Degree of Merit, the highest honor conferred on Moose members. In December 1979 he received a special commendation from then Wisconsin Governor Lee Dreyfus. The plaque read: "For 25 years his service as a councilman and mayor have resulted in substantial state progress and under his stewardship, many civic projects have flourished."

After ten years on the City Council, John Kannenberg was elected the first four-year Mayor of the City of Wausau, WI in 1964 and served consecutively until his retirement on April 19, 1988. During these years he was instrumental in the development of the Wausau West Business and Industrial Park and housing for the elderly, particularly Kannenberg Plaza, named in his honor. During his 34 years of public service, Mr. Kannenberg never missed a City Council meeting, attending a string of 575 straight.

Mr. Kannenberg, as mayor, was responsible for overseeing construction of the retirement facilities in Wausau and ensuring that the Wausau Center mall was built downtown, and not on the outskirts of the city. He was most instrumental in helping to create tax incentives that fostered much development. In July 1984 the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development presented an Award of Excellence to Wausau for its downtown mall project, as it edged out 80 other cities and towns for the award.

Mr. Kannenberg was a president of the Association of Wisconsin Planners, state co-chairman of the Nation Citizens Committee for Revenue Sharing, vice president of the Alliance of Cities, vice chairman of the North Central Regional Planning Commission of Wisconsin, and a member of the Institute of Governmental Affairs and the National League of Cities.

John Kannenberg, age 88, died on March 17, 2008. He is buried in Restlawn Memorial Park in Wausau, WI.

After the death of Mr. Kannenberg, former City Council Member Roger Otto, who served with Kannenberg on Council, was quoted as saying, "He’s probably the greatest mayor that Wausau’s ever had, and we’ve had some good mayors over the years."Top

38

Ben Schuck

Ben
Schuck

• 1962
• 1960
• 1958

Benjamin C. Schuck was born in Milwaukee on October 17, 1898, the son of William and Frieda Schuck. He was married in Milwaukee to Dorothy Ehne on May 25, 1920. They had one son.

Mr. Schuck was a former manager of the Rhinelander Brewery and sales manager for Mathie & Ruder Brewing Company. He owned and operated Schuck’s Beer Depot at the time he was elected mayor of Wausau in 1958. Mr. Schuck served as mayor until 1964, and in those six years, while sometimes considered controversial, he accomplished a lot for the citizens of Wausau. He was a very aggressive mayor who saw himself as the head of a large organization. Some aldermen accused him of being a “dictator” who rode over them and often made decisions without consulting the alderman. His thought was that there often was no time when a tough decision needed to be made.

He backed the ordinance creating the office of comptroller and the installation of IBM computers. He established the new road out of the “Flats” to River Drive; he annexed the Riverview area; annexed the lands on which the Holiday Inn in located; purchased voting machines, and codified city ordinances. He was also instrumental in starting the use of soil cement as a base for blacktop, supported the bond issues for separation of storm and sanitary sewers, and built the fire station on Grand Avenue.

At his retirement, Mr. Schuck was quoted as saying: "You know, if a mayor wishes he can just sit on his tail in this office and look down on Third Street. He will get nothing done, but I bet he could build a good reputation of being a fine fellow."

Mr. Schuck was a member and past exalted ruler of Elks Lodge 248; Forest Lodge F&AM; Eau Claire Consistory; Tripoli Temple, of which he was ambassador.

Benjamin Schuck, at age 71, died in Marathon on June 23, 1970. He is buried in Merrill, WI Memorial Park.Top

37

Arthur M. Smith

Arthur M.
Smith

• 1956
• 1954

Arthur M. Smith was born in Iowa on February 12, 1890, son of Andrew Smith. He came to Wausau in 1928 from Peoria, Illinois.

Mr. Smith was manager of Sears Roebuck & Company in Wausau from 1928-1950, was an active member of the Chamber of Commerce, and had served on the council executive committee, rural relations committee and was a former director of the Chamber. During World War II he served as chairman of the Marathon County scrap drive. He also was a former member of Wausau Golf Club, Drug Store Coaches Association and chairman of the First Methodist Church finance committee.

Mr. Smith was elected mayor of Wausau in 1954 and served in that capacity until 1958. He was married in Tomahawk, WI on June 16, 1957 to Ida Rahn. They had one son.

Mr. Smith was a member of the Rotary Club, the Zor Shrine Temple in Madison, and Forest Lodge #130 of Wausau. He also served as a past-president of the Wisconsin Valley Shrine Club, was past master of Summit Lodge 493 of Elliott, Iowa and past chairman of the Wausau Committee for the Crippled Children’s Hospital.

Arthur Smith died on November 12, 1969. He is buried in Evergreen Cemetery in Red Oak, Iowa.Top

36

Herbert Giese

Herbert
Giese

• 1952
• 1950
• 1948
• 1946
• 1944
• 1942

Herbert Albert Giese was born in Wausau on June 23, 1907, the son of Christopher & Louise (Grob) Giese, from whom he learned his musical talents. After attending local school he went to work at the old Farmers Store at Third & Forests Streets. Several years later he became manager of the same store.

Mr. Giese was married in Wausau on September 10, 1927 to Miss Eileen Orphal of Wausau. They were blessed with two children.

Herbert Giese, always very interested in city government, served as a member of the City Council and the Marathon County Board of Supervisors for six years. There he established the precedent as the only incumbent who was re-elected twice without opposition.

Mr. Giese was elected mayor of Wausau in 1942 and served continuously until 1954. Here established another first as he served for 12 years, the longest tenure of any ex-mayor. Under his administration, much progress was made; modern street lighting systems, establishment of downtown parking lots, creation of the school crossing guard system, a modern snow removal program, equal distribution of ward population and additions to schools.

On his return to private life, Mr. Giese was employed at the J.C. Penney store. He devoted much of his time to his duties as an organist and choir director of the First English Lutheran Church. He first started as an organist at age 14 and continued that until his death. He was also choir director for many years.

Herbert Giese was campaigning for another bid for election to the mayor’s office when he was stricken with a heart attack at his home. At age 56, he died on February 11, 1964 and is buried in Restlawn Memorial Park in Wausau, WI.Top

35

August Polster

August
Polster

• 1938

August Carl Polster was born in Wausau on September 24, 1885, the son of August F. & Anna (Rubritins) Polster. After attending the Wausau Business Institute, he accepted a position as clerk in the Milwaukee Road freight office in Wausau in 1900, where he worked until 1907, when he took a similar position in the freight office of the Northwestern Road in Wausau, where he stayed for another 10 years. In 1917 he moved on to the office of the Northern Milling Company where he worked until 1924, when he was elected city treasurer.

He served in that capacity until April 1927, when he accepted a position in the old Marathon County Bank. With the merger of that bank with the First American State Bank, he became as receiving teller in 1928. Mr. Polster served as treasurer of the Community Chest and treasurer of the Federated Charities and was an active member of the Community Theater.

August Polster was elected mayor in 1938 and succeeded George W. Borowitz in that office. He was re-elected in the 1940 mayoral election. He was a very personal mayor who encouraged all citizens to call him at any time. When they did call, he always answered his own phone with the greeting, “this is your friend, the mayor.” He served as chairman of the Marathon County civilian defense council.

Mr. Polster was treasurer of Forest Lodge #30, Free and Accepted Masons, Wausau council, Royal and Select Masters, Wausau chapter, Royal Arch Masons, and the St. Omer commandery, Knights Templar. He was a member of the Eau Claire consistory as a 32nd degree Mason, a member of Zor Shrine Temple, Madison, past worthy patron of Marathon chapter, order of the Eastern Star, and was a watchman of the Shephards of Bethesda shrine of the White Shrine of Jerusalem. He was active in the Loyal Order of Moose, treasurer of the Royal Arcanum, the Elks, the Knights of Pythias, the Wausau Benevolent Society, the DAUV Lodge and the Wausau Chamber of Commerce.

August Polster, just 56 years of age, died at St. Mary’s hospital in Rochester, MN on February 1, 1942. An escort consisting of Police Chief English, Fire Chief Buss, six police officers and six firefighters marched beside the hearse carrying Mr. Polster’s body from the funeral home to the Masonic temple, and then from the temple to the church. A continuous honor guard of two fire fighters and two police officers were at the temple and the church where the mayor’s body lied in state until the time of the services. He is buried in Pine Grove Cemetery in Wausau, WI.Top

34

George Borowitz

George
Borowitz

• 1936
• 1935

George W. Borowitz was born in Germany on December 7, 1870, the son of Michael & Hulda (Lambs) Borowitz. When George was 11 years old, his father immigrated the family to America and settled in Manistee, Michigan where the elder Borowitz opened a tailor shop. Young George was educated in the public schools there and at the same time, working for his father, learned the tailoring trade. He then attended the A.D. Rhode & Sons Cutting School in Cleveland, Ohio where he honed his tailoring skills.

In 1898 George came to Wausau and opened his own tailor shop at 211 Washington Street. He later opened a complementary clothing business but soon sold it to concentrate on the tailor shop. Mr. Borowitz was elected mayor of Wausau in 1935 and served a two-year term.

On January 20, 1899, Mr. Borowitz was united in marriage in Manistee, MI to Miss Josephine Kroupa from Traverse City, MI. George Borowitz was a member of St. James Catholic Church, and for two years served on its board of trustees. He was also a member of the Knights of Columbus, the Catholic Order of Foresters, the Eagles and the Elks.

George Borowitz drowned in a fishing accident in 1938. He is buried in St. Joseph’s Catholic Cemetery in Wausau, WI.Top

33 Otto Muenchow

• 1932
• 1930

See Below
32

A.V. Gearhart

Alfred V.
Gearhart

• 1928

Alfred Vinton Gearhart was born in Plainfield, Waushara County, WI on March 22, 1858, the son of Charles H. and Louisa A. (Tabor) Gearhart. Alfred was raised on his father’s farm in Almond Township in Portage County until he reached the age of twelve years. He then moved back to Plainfield with his parents and in 1874 moved again to Chelsea, Taylor County, WI. Here he was educated in the public schools of Portage, Waushara and Taylor counties.

In 1878, at age 22, he was appointed station agent of the Wisconsin Central Railroad at Auburndale. The next year he was transferred to Ledgeville in Brown County, and the next year he spent in Milwaukee working in the train dispatcher’s office. He was then appointed assistant dispatcher at Stevens Point and shortly after was transferred to station work at Colby, Westboro and Junction City. In 1881 he accepted a position as assistant station agent in Wausau for the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railroad, and for the Milwaukee, LakeShore and Western road. Two years later he was appointed manager for the Western Union Telegraph Company in Wausau, the post he held for just over 11 years. He resigned that position to accept the position of superintendent of the Water Works Department.

Mr. Gearhart was an alderman of the Fifth ward for sixteen years before he was elected mayor of Wausau in 1928 and held that post for two years. He was an active Mason, being a member of Forest Lodge, Wausau Chapter, Wausau council, St. Omer Commandery, the Order of the Eastern Star and the Eau Claire consistory. He was master of the lodge in 1896, high priest of the chapter in 1904 and illustrious master in 1923. He was granted an honorary life membership in the local Elks lodge and was a member of Knights of Pythias.

Alfred Gearhart was married on December 31, 1884 to Ada Ione Barnum, daughter of Mr. & Ms. Marcus Barnum, proprietor of The Pines resort. They had two children. Ms. Gearhart died in 1920.

Alfred Gearhart died on June 15, 1950 at the Wisconsin Masonic home at Dousman, WI. He is buried in Pine Grove Cemetery in Wausau, WI.Top

31

Otto Muenchow

Otto
Muenchow

• 1926

Otto W. H. Muenchow was born in Wausau on September 29, 1873 to Carl and Carolina (Erdman) Muenchow, both originally from Germany. They emigrated to the US and to Wausau earlier in the year that Otto was born. Otto earned his education in the Lutheran parochial schools in Wausau until he was thirteen, when he was forced to be self-supporting. He worked in a sash and door factory where he stayed for seventeen years. He learned the saw filing trade and worked at it for nine years.

In 1903 Mr. Muenchow was appointed superintendent of the construction of the Stinchfield Creek canal. At that time, this was the largest all-concrete canal construction in this part of the state. In 1906 Mr. Muenchow opened a mercantile business after building a new facility on the corner of Grand and Forest Streets.

On December 30, 1903, in Wausau, Mr. Muenchow married Miss Margaret Buechner, daughter of John Buechner, formerly town treasurer for the town of Johnson in Marathon County, and one of the first settlers of the settlement of Athens.

Mr. Muenchow was founder and president of Pied Piper Shoe Company, member of the Wausau School Board, and vice-president and director of Franklin Savings & Loan Association. He was also a founder of Wisconsin Valley Fox Farm and a former president of Zion Lutheran Church congregation. He was elected alderman prior to running and winning the office of Mayor in 1926. He served through 1928, and was re-elected in 1930, serving until 1935.

Mr. Muenchow passed away on November 2, 1963 and his remains are buried in Pine Grove Cemetery in Wausau, WI.Top

30

Emil Flatter

Emil
Flatter

• 1924
• 1922
• 1920

Emil Flatter was born in Saxon, Germany on November 11, 1865, the son of Gustav and Bertha (Krueger) Flatter. In 1893, at age 28, he came to America and came directly to Wausau. He was married in Wausau on August 19, 1893 to Johanna Bruichert. Together they had three children.

Long active in civil affairs, he served as alderman-supervisor of the seventh ward from 1900-1910, from 1912-1914, and from 1916-1920, when he was elected mayor of Wausau. He handled the chores of that office until 1926, when he was named superintendent of the city water department. He served in that capacity until his retirement in 1937.

Mr. Flatter as active in the Wausau Benevolent Society, the former Deutscher Arbeiter Unterstuetzung verein, and was a member of Grace Evangelical and Reformed Church, holding offices in both organizations.

Emil Flatter died at his daughter’s home in Prior Lake, MN on July 31, 1944. He is buried in Pine Grove Cemetery in Wausau, WI.Top

29

John L. Sell

John L.
Sell

• 1918

John L. Sell was born on a farm in Wood County, WI on June 24, 1869, son of William and Caroline (Habeck) Sell. He attended both public and parochial schools in Marathon County until he was age 14, when he went to work for Curtis & Yale. Later, he worked for 18 years at the local Schmidt & Schoeneberg store. In later years he was associated with the Sell Brothers Hardware store, operating that business until his retirement.

John Sell was appointed under sheriff of Marathon County in 1906, was elected sheriff of Marathon County in 1908 and served until 1910, when he was elected register of deeds. He was elected mayor of Wausau in 1918. He also served several years as an alderman-supervisor in the City Council and County Board of Supervisors. Additionally, he served as a trustee of the Mountview Sanatorium for several years.

John Sell was united in marriage in Wausau on November 17, 1892 to Miss Clara Pradel, the daughter of August & Elizabeth Pradel of Wausau. Their marriage produced three children.

John Sell, age 86, passed away on October 4, 1955 following a brief illness. He is buried in Pine Grove Cemetery in Wausau, WI.Top

28

H.E. Marquardt

Herman E.
Marquardt

• 1916

Herman W. E. Marquardt was born in Wausau on May 17, 1873, son of August W. & Johanna (Lueck) Marquardt, both from Germany who came to America in 1968. Herman attended public schools in Wausau and graduated from the Wausau High School with the class of 1891, and then entered the law offices of Andrew Kreutzer with the intention of study law.

He studied for two months when a more attractive offer presented itself and he went to work in the construction department of the Western Union Telegraph Company. In this job he traveled for two years throughout Wisconsin, Idaho and Washington. He then spent two years at Duluth where he was in charge of the lines, batteries and other working gear business. He next filled the same position at Superior for three years, then was promoted to the inspection service with jurisdiction over Wisconsin, Minnesota, Northern Iowa, Upper Michigan, North and South Dakota, and parts of Montana, while he was headquartered in Minneapolis. He stayed there for 13 years, resigned in March 1905 and went to work at Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company.

He had returned to Wausau in 1900 and in 1906 was elected to the post of city comptroller. He was elected mayor of Wausau in 1916 and served through 1917.

Herman Marquardt was married to Miss Emma Rollenhagen of Wausau and together they had two children. He was prominent in the fraternal orders of Knights of Pythias and the Modern Woodmen of America and was a member of both the Commercial Club and the YMCA.

Herman Marquardt died on July 5, 1919. He is buried in Pine Grove Cemetery in Wausau, WI.Top

27

John
Ringle

• 1914
• 1912

See Below
26

John F. Lamont

John F.
Lamont

• 1910
• 1908

John F. Lamont was born on June 1, 1867 at Mill Center, Brown County, Wisconsin, the son of Angus and Almira Lamont, a prominent pioneer lumberman around Colby and Unity. Young John spent his boyhood in Colby and graduated from Unity High School in 1883 and from then until 1884 he taught school. He entered UW Madison in 1884 and graduated in 1888. He quickly turned his attention to business and engaged in the lumber industry in Colby until 1894 and soon became widely known. He had much experience in political and business affairs and was offered several political appointments.

John Lamont was married in Wausau on December 25, 1897 to Miss Jessie M. Young, and they were blessed with four children.

Mr. Lamont was elected county superintendent of schools for Marathon County in 1894, a position he held until 1905. Under his administration, county schools were built up and wonderfully improved. He originated the idea of the County Normal School and succeeded in putting it into successful operation. He secured the first County Agricultural School in Wisconsin for Marathon County. He also served as a member of the county board of supervisors.

Mr. Lamont was state president of the State Association of County Superintendents of Schools; chairman of the State Board of Visitors to River Falls Normal School; treasurer of the State Teachers’ Association; state manager for Wisconsin for the National Education Association, and during his ten plus years as superintendent, the schools in Marathon County were rated as the best in Wisconsin.

In 1905, Mr. Lamont retired from education and turned his attention to business, getting into real estate, loans and insurance, and was a member of the firm of Kretlow & Lamont. In 1906 he became secretary of Wausau’s Fire and Police Commission; in 1908 he was elected Mayor of Wausau and reelected in 1910; he was a Democratic candidate for Congress in 1910; in 1911 he was a featured lecturer for the Wisconsin Advancement Association in the interests of Upper Wisconsin. For many years, he was affiliated with Masonry, Knight Templar, Knights of Pythias and the Elks.

Mr. Lamont remained in Wausau until 1916 then moved back to the Colby area, where he died in 1923. He is buried in the Colby, WI Memorial Cemetery.Top

25

Myron Duncan

Myron H.
Duncan

• 1906

Myron H. Duncan was born in Wausau about 1870.

Myron Duncan was a businessman in Wausau for many years, operating a harness shop, farming in the town of Texas and raising award-winning blooded cattle. He was one of the most active members of the Marathon County Agricultural Society, and was largely responsible for making the Marathon County Fair an instant huge success. He was one of the executive officers of the Marathon County Agricultural Society, and served as its secretary for many years.

Myron Duncan was married in Wausau to October 7, 1896 to Clara Louise Ringle of Wausau.

Mr. Duncan was elected mayor of Wausau in 1906 and served through 1907. At the time of his election as mayor it was a time of general prosperity and demands for civic improvement were many and of importance. Several infrastructure projects including sewers, railroad spurs, road paving, water towers, and the water supply that were approved earlier were completed during his term.

Myron Duncan died on March 21, 1936. He is buried in Pine Grove Cemetery in Wausau, WI.Top
24 Ernst C.
Zimmerman

• 1904

See Below
23

Louis Merchetti

Louis
Merchetti

• 1903
• 1902
• 1901

Louis Marchetti was born in Vienna, Austria on January 21, 1846. As a youth of 21, he came to Wausau in 1867 and immediately set to work to gain knowledge of the English language and succeeded in a remarkably short time. While studying English, bookkeeping and law he worked as a river pilot and as a timber hand in sawmills along the Wisconsin River. He was a member of the city’s first volunteer fire department and took an active part in early politics. He soon became a school teacher, bookkeeper, judge, and lawyer. His first public office was street commissioner in 1871. In 1874 he was elected clerk of the circuit court and re-elected. He was admitted to the bar in 1879 and in the same year was named judge of the newly-created municipal court of Marathon County. From 1893 to 1897 he served as register of the United States land office.

He served as Wausau’s mayor from 1901 – 1904 and published the first comprehensive history of Marathon County in 1913. He was known as one of Wausau’s most prominent and active citizens, and was admired as a self-made man. One of the things Louis was known for were certain sayings, one of which was: “….there was really nothing here to incite the cupidity of men; all were poor, all had the same simple fare, lived in similar huts or shanties or log houses, the employer worked us hard and got no more pleasure out of life than the employee. But this free life had its drawbacks, too.

There are many things which Mr. Marchetti has done for the good of the people of Wausau and Marathon County. The history of Marathon County, written by Mr. Marchetti, is invaluable, and if he never had done anything else of a public nature, it would be a lasting monument to his memory.

Louis Marchetti was united in marriage to Miss Emma Plisch on July 7, 1872, and together they had two children.

Louis Marchetti died on March 14, 1931. He is buried in Pine Grove Cemetery in Wausau, WI.Top

22

Victor Alderson

Victor
Alderson

• 1900

Victor A. Alderson was born on July 21, 1851 in Summerville, Ontario, Canada, the son of James & Caroline Alderson. As a young man Alfred attended a business and military college in Toronto. Soon after graduation he left his home and came to Wisconsin, stopping first in Milwaukee where he remained a short time. He worked his way north to Wausau in 1869, where he quickly recognized the great possibilities of advancement and decided to make his home there.

His first job was as a bookkeeper in the bank of Silverthorn & Plumer, where he stayed for several years. In 1877 he acquired an interest in the Thayer & Corey flour mill, which later became part of the enterprises on H.E. McEachron. Mr. Alderson sold those interests in 1880 and entered the real estate and insurance business. As was custom in those days, he also did some lumbering. He started his own company, V.A. Alderson Investment Company, at the same time serving as secretary of the Wausau Street Railroad Company. In his position of being considered an expert accountant, he assisted in launching several banking institutions.

Victor Alderson was married to Miss Jesse Corey, whose father was a prominent Wausau flour mill owner. They had two sons.

Mr. Alderson was elected mayor of Wausau in 1900. Prior to that, he had served as a member of city council for several terms, was a member of the county board, and the police and fire departments.

Victor Alderson died on April 20, 1914. He is buried in Forest Home Cemetery in Rhinelander, WI.Top

21

Joseph Reiser

Joseph
Reiser

• 1899

Joseph Henry Reiser was born on a farm near New Boston, Michigan on March 1, 1864. As a young boy of fourteen he learned the carpenter trade in a sash and door factory in Detroit for three years. In 1881 he enrolled at the Ferris Institute in Big Rapids, Michigan and graduated after the necessary four years. He came to the Wisconsin valley in 1866, where he was put in charge of logging operations in Grand Rapids (now Wisconsin Rapids) and Merrill.

He came to Wausau in 1891 when he became a stockholder/partner in the Werheim Manufacturing Companies, at that time one of the prominent industries in this area, serving as business manager, vice president and treasurer. After a few years he sold his interest in the company and became a salesman for some large lumber concerns. He then moved into a similar position for the B. Heinemann Lumber Company.

He served four years as alderman and supervisor before his election as mayor in 1899 and served one term as trustee of the Marathon County Insane Asylum. Mr. Reiser was a member of the Odd Fellows, the Masons and was a staunch Democrat. He was married on April 21, 1891 to Miss Marie Bertha Werheim, the daughter of the Honorable George Werheim of Wausau. Their marriage produced two children.

Joseph Reiser died on March 18, 1927. He is buried in Pine Grove Cemetery in Wausau, WI.Top

20

John N. Manson

John N.
Manson

• 1898

John N. Manson was born in Wausau on March 4, 1857, the son of Rufus P. & Catherine (Nicolls) Manson, who was among the earliest settlers of this area. He was educated in the Wausau public schools until age 15 when he left school to go to work as a bookkeeper for the mercantile business of Parcher & Manson, the firm of Robert Parcher and Mr. Manson’s father. At some point the firm became Parcher, Manson & Fernald when George Fernald was admitted as a partner. Later Mr. Fernard bought out the interest to Mr. Parcher and Mr. Manson bought out his father and the firm became Manson & Fernald. In 1882, Rufus Manson bought out Mr. Fernald and formed the firm of R.P. & J.N. Manson, which operated until 1891, when it was sold to the Nathan & Benjamin Heinemann.

Mr. Manson has been carefully planning his next venture and quickly opened an insurance office in a suite in the First National Bank building. He was soon representing some of the best companies in the world and from the very beginning his firm became one of the most extensive and best known in this part of the state.

John Manson married Miss Helen Stewart, daughter of William R. Stewart of Wausau, on March 14, 1888 and they had four children.

Mr. Manson favored the Republican Party and supported its causes. In 1898, he was elected mayor when he carried every ward in the city and served one term. His election made him the first Wausau mayor to be born and educated in Wausau. The following year he refused a re-nomination but did accept the supervisorship for his ward. At different times he also accepted other official responsibilities. He was a director of the First National Bank

John Manson was a 32nd degree Mason and belonged to the Knights of Pythias, the Elks, and the Modern Woodmen of America. He was a member of the Universalist Church.

John Manson died in November 1920 and is buried in Pine Grove Cemetery in Wausau, WI.Top

19 Henry E.
McEachron

• 1897

See Below
18

Emery J. Anderson

Emery J.
Anderson

• 1896

Emery J. Anderson was born in Espyville, Erie County, Pennsylvania on November 28, 1851 the son of Eliga Anderson. The same year his parents moved the family to Ohio where they stayed for a few years. At age 14, young Emery enlisted in Company H, 153d, NY Voluntary Infantry and served the Union side in the Civil War through the end of the year. When the war was over, he returned to Pennsylvania where he was attracted by the oil field development. After working different places there, he decided to go to “the northwest” and enter the lumbering business in Michigan.

He left Michigan in 1873 to come to Wausau where he soon became a lumberjack, a river pilot, and very quickly earned a reputation as one of the best “cruisers” in the north woods. His accurate work quickly caught the attention of Thomas B. Scott. Later, Mr. Anderson bought interests in timber lands and for many years dealt in pine and farming lands.

Mr. Anderson was married in 1878 to Miss Mary Wyatt, daughter of Jonathan Wyatt of Wausau. Together, they had seven children.

Emery (E.J.) Anderson was asked to become the candidate of the people’s party for mayor of Wausau, and was elected in 1896 by the narrow margin of one vote. At his inaugural address, he frankly admitted that he had no experience as a legislator or an executive officer, had never held any office, and was committed to “Spartan simplicity” in city government. Because of that, his administration was marked by an earnest effort towards economy and retrenchment, in which he was rather successful.

Mr. Anderson was a member of the Odd Fellows and was a member of Cutler Post #55, Grand Army of the Republic.

E.J. Anderson died on July 15, 1930. He is buried in Pine Grove Cemetery in Wausau, WI.Top

17

H.E. McEachron

Henry E.
McEachron

• 1895

Henry E. McEachron was born in Essex, NY on August 29, 1852, the son of Peter and Rowena (Martin) McEachron. His family moved to Stoughton, WI when he was 12 years old. He graduated from the Albin Academy at Albin, the Worthington Business College at Madison and the University of Wisconsin. At the university he became intimately acquainted with Charles V. Bardeen, later state Supreme Court justice, Alva Adams, three times governor of Colorado, and the elder Robert M. La Follette. Mr. La Follette was a frequent visitor at the McEachron home during his campaigns through Wisconsin. Mr. McEachron served as a member of the Republican state central committee during the senior La Follette’s administrations as governor.

Mr. McEachron came to Wausau in 1882 and acquired an interest in the Herchenbach flour mill. Buying out his partners the following year, he was sole owner until 1889 when he converted it into a corporation with himself as president. He sold his interests in the mill in 1913 to Charles and W.E. Dodge. In 1914, he built the H.E. McEachron mill, later the Dodge-Hooker mill, and operated it until the following year. Leaving for Chicago in 1915 he spent a year there before acquiring the Willy flour mill at Appleton, which he ran until the end of the First World War. He then returned to Wausau.

Mr. McEachron was elected mayor of Wausau in 1895 and again in 1897. Before election he served as a member of city council. He was a charter member of the Elks Club and had a hand in the formation of the Wausau Club and Wausau Country Club.

Mr. McEachron was married in Wausau in 1881 to Harriet E. Short, who died in 1906. On April 22, 1913, he was married to Ms. Mary Schnurr of Hartford. Together they had one daughter.

Mr. McEachron, at age 85, suffered two paralytic strokes and passed away on November 4, 1969. He is buried in Pine Grove Cemetery in Wausau, WI.Top

16

John Miller

John
Miller

• 1894

John W. Miller was born in Germany in Lang-Goens Girouit of Giessen, Hessen-Darmstadt, Germany on October 9, 1849, son of John & Maria (Textor) Miller. John Jr. attended school and was confirmed into the Lutheran church in 1863. On September 15, 1865, he and several friends set sail for America on the sailing vessel Karlshafen out of Bremen, locating first in Milwaukee in December, where he worked as a locksmith for nine months, then on to Wausau in 1866 where he found various jobs.

To start, he considered himself lucky to find his first job in the cook shanty of Rufus P. Manson’s lumber camp for board and $23 per month. By 1869, he had almost mastered English, enrolled at an institute and successfully passed the examination which qualified him to teach in the Jim Kemp District for the next five years. In 1877, he became a candidate for city assessor and was elected for one term. The next year he was elected city clerk, which he occupied for seven years. In 1884 he was elected a member of the board of Education and served for six years. Governor Smith appointed him lumber inspector in 1881 and in 1886 he was elected county clerk.

In 1891, Mr. Miller accepted a position in the abstract department for Wausau Law & Land Company stayed there for ten years. He was elected mayor of Wausau in 1894. In 1900 he was appointed supervisor of the Federal Census, and in March, 1901, received the appointment of the highly prestigious position of register of deeds in the U.S. Land Office.

John Miller was united in marriage in Wausau in November 1872, to Anna M. Lemke from Prussia. Together they had seven children. Mr. Miller was a member of the Odd Fellows, the Sons of Hermann, and the Equitable Fraternal Union.

John Miller died on June 17, 1931. He is buried in Pine Grove Cemetery in Wausau, WI.Top
 

15

Robert E. Parcher

Robert E.
Parcher

• 1893
• 1892
• 1891

Robert Edward Parcher was born in Troy, Vermont on December 6, 1838, the son of Robert & Lucretia (Kenny) Parcher, and raised in Morrisville, VT, living in Stowe for about a year before coming to Wisconsin in 1858. He resided in Plover until 1859 when he moved to Wausau. He was employed as a clerk at Taylor and Ellis for less than a year when Mr. Ellis retired. Mr. Parcher succeeded Mr. Taylor in the business and continued on until 1880. He entered the lumber and real estate business in 1883. For five years he was president of the Boom Company. He was one of the founders of the Wausau Lumber Company and was a director of the Timber Belt Railroad Company.

Robert Parcher was one of the first lumbermen who recognized the importance of the granite industry and was primarily responsible for the creation of the Wausau Granite Works. He was a director of First National Bank and held many offices in several corporations. He was elected mayor of the City of Wausau in 1891 and was re-elected to two successive terms expiring April 17, 1894.

Mr. Parcher was married in Wausau on June 12, 1865 to Mary H. Single from Wausau. He died on December 4, 1907 at the age of 69. He is buried in Pine Grove Cemetery in Wausau, WI.Top

14

Gustave Mueller

Gustave
Mueller

• 1890

Gustave Albert Mueller was born in Bonin, Kreis Regenwalde, Province Pommerania, Kingdom of Prussia, Germany on June 3, 1847, the son of August Frederick Wilhelm and Karoline Wilhelmine (Schroeder) Mueller. Mr. Mueller was a parish teacher in that village for over 50 years. Young Gustave attended the common schools where he was educated into the teaching profession, with music being the art that he loved. At age seventeen he enlisted in the Prussian army and was first sent to military school at Juelich, Rheinish, Prussia. After six months of studies, he contracted typhus fever and spent six months in a hospital. Once he could travel, he was sent home on furlough. When the Austrian War broke out in 1866 he was called into service, but after doctors examined him he was declared unfit for service by reason of poor health and mustered out as an invalid. He stayed at home until the fall of 1867, when he emigrated to the US. He arrived in Wausau with a friend in November 1867 and quickly found work as a store clerk and a farm laborer working for August Kickbusch.

While working for Mr. Kickbusch for two years, Mr. Mueller became a close friend with another clerk, Charles Quandt. In 1870, those two formed a partnership and opened the first exclusive boot and shoe store in Wausau, Mueller & Quandt, at the corner of 3rd and Washington Streets. The store was a huge success and prospered even through the death of Mr. Quandt in 1901.

Gustave Mueller was married in Wausau to Miss Elizabeth Ringle, in 1872 and they had five children. Ms. Mueller passed away in 1887. Mr. Mueller married a second time on January 7, 1894 to Miss Clara Kressin. They had one child, but unfortunately the child died in infancy.

Mr. Mueller was elected Mayor of Wausau in 1890. During his regime the waterworks system was installed and expanded and the sewer system was designed and installed. In addition, this was a time of the big homestead rush caused by the opening of water reserve tracts to homesteading. Mr. Mueller ensured that this was done without incident.

For 36 years, Mr. Mueller was the conductor and moving spirit of the Wausau Liederkranz, and participated in other singing societies. He was also prominent in the Wausau Schuetzen-Verein Club, a sharpshooters society which was always rated one of the best in the state. He was a member of Wausau Lodge 215 International Order of Odd Fellows from 1869 until his death, being a member for over 50 years.

Gustave Mueller, at age 78, died from pneumonia on April 25, 1926. He is buried in Pine Grove Cemetery in Wausau, WI.Top

13

Ernst C. Zimmerman

Ernst C.
Zimmerman

• 1889
• 1888

Ernst C. Zimmerman was born on August 31, 1857 in Germany, son of Frederick & Beatrice (Schulz) Zimmerman. He came to America in 1867, lived in Waterloo, WI for about a year, owned a fire insurance business in Eau Claire, WI until September 1878 then moved his family and business to Wausau. Soon after arriving here, he formed a partnership with H.L. Wheeler and established the fire insurance company of Wheeler & Zimmerman beginning in 1880.

In December 1881, Ernst Zimmerman was united in marriage to Miss Minnie Marth from the town of Hamburg. They had three children. Mr. Zimmerman was a secretary of the Odd Fellows Lodge. He was a member of the Masonic fraternity, and for two years was the state representative of the Sovereign Grand Lodge. He served one term as president of the Wisconsin State Banker’s Association.

Prior to his election to mayor of Wausau in 1888 Mr. Zimmerman served two years as supervisor in the administrator of Mayor Rufus Manson, under whose tutelage he proved an able pupil, and worthy of election in his own right. He was re-elected mayor on 1904. Mr. Zimmerman’s administration was very much noted for making this a “greater Wausau.” These prosperous years saw population increases, new houses, more sawmills in operations, more railroads, less crime, new schools, reduced city debt, more dams and new fire stations.

In 1908 he was chosen as an elector at large for the State of Wisconsin and in 1912 was a democratic elector for the Eighth Wisconsin Congressional district and had the distinction of being the only elector from Marathon County who ever cast a direct vote for a democratic president and vice-president.

In community affairs, Mr. Zimmerman was the treasurer of the Marathon County Agricultural Society, treasurer of the locale humane society, treasurer of the Children’s Infirmary, and a number of other societies.

Ernst Zimmerman died on May 12, 1914 and is buried in Pine Grove Cemetery in Wausau, WI.Top

12

Anton Mehl

Anton
Mehl

• 1887

Anton Mehl was born in Dornholzhansen, Kreis Wetzlar Rhein, Germany on June 12, 1845, the son of John & Katrina (Lefler) Mehl. He was raised and educated in his native country and learned the shoemaking trade. He served in the German army and was in the Franco-German War of 1870-1871, spending close to a year in France. After his discharge from the army, he emigrated to the U.S. intending to meet up with his cousin, Henry Mehl, already a successful shoemaker in Wausau.

In 1873 Mr. Mehl was married to Miss Mary Schuetz and they had six children.

Anton Mehl worked diligently and slowly built up the business that allowed him to open his own retail shoe store, which he ran for twenty-five years. Mr. Mehl was vice president and the first president of the Wausau Building and Loan and Investment Company; a director of the Citizens State Bank; a director of Ruder Brewing Company; president of the board of trustees of the Marathon County Asylum; served on charitable boards and benevolent committees. He was president of the German-American Alliance. He and his family were active members of St., Stephen Church.

In 1876 he was elected a member of the city council and served until 1887, when he was elected mayor of Wausau. Mr. Mehl was elected county treasurer of Marathon County in 1898 and re-elected in 1900 and at the end of his second term the county board unanimously passed a resolution, recommending his bookkeeping as a model of neatness and accuracy.

Anton Mehl died on November 14, 1915. He is buried in Pine Grove Cemetery in Wausau, WI.Top

11

Rufus P. Manson

Rufus P.
Manson

• 1886
• 1885

Rufus P. Manson was born at Eaton, Carrol County, New Hampshire on February 15, 1830. He was first elected to public office in 1858 when he was made clerk of the court and county clerk, and served in these positions for four years. He served three terms as sheriff of Marathon County, was mayor of Wausau in 1885-1886, was a member of the board of educations, and in 1871 served as a member of the state assembly.

During all these years of public service, Mr. Manson was an active businessman and lumberman who had the remarkable reputation for honesty and fair-dealings. For several years he operated a steam mill in Rib River, and in 1883 built a saw mill in Wausau that burned down in 1902.

Rufus Manson was united in marriage on November 13, 1854, to Miss Catherine Nicoll of Drummond, Canada. That marriage produced twelve children. Mr. Manson was a member of Evergreen Lodge, No. 93, A.F. & A.M. at Stevens Point, was a member of Forest Lodge No. 130, Wausau Chapter 31 R.A.M., and St. Omer Commandery 19, K.T.

Rufus Manson, at age 77, died on February 19, 1897. He is buried in Pine Grove Cemetery in Wausau, WI. Top

10

John Ringle

John
Ringle

• 1884

The earliest settlers of Ringle were Dutch, followed by Norwegians, Germans and Poles. Ringle was named after John Ringle, an offspring of the prominent Ringle family, who pioneered the area.

John Ringle was born on October 2, 1848 at Herman, Dodge County, WI. He was only eleven years old when his family moved to Wausau. He attended local public schools here until age 18. In 1872, Mr. Ringle was married to Miss Augusta Engel of Wausau. In that same year, he was elected county clerk of Marathon County and served that position for six years, after which he went into the real estate business. The following year he was elected to the Wisconsin General Assembly where he served for three successive terms. In 1882 he was elected to the Senate where he served four years.

Mr. Ringle was elected Mayor of the City of Wausau in 1884. In 1892 he again became a member of the General Assembly and from 1894 to 1898 served as Postmaster of Wausau, appointed by President Grover Cleveland. For a number of years he served as a member of the city council and was chairman of the county board of supervisors. After his first wife died in 1891, Mr. Ringle married Louisa Kemmer. Mr. Ringle was again elected mayor of Wausau in 1912.

Mr. Ringle built a sawmill in 1889, but five years later, the discovery of a 30 feet thick clay deposit encouraged John to diversify. He closed the saw mill that year and started the Ringle Brick Company. Beneath the clay was hard shale which Ringle pulverized into powder and mixed with the clay. Iron oxide in the shale gave the bricks a burnt orange color after firing. Unfortunately, the brickyard burned down twice and was rebuilt. The final Ringle brick was produced in 1943.

Mr. Ringle was one of the original stockholders and directors of the First National Bank, serving as first vice-president for many years, and for two years as its president. Mr. Ringle’s second wife died in 1905 and he later was married to Augusta Frey.

Mr. Ringle passed away from heart failure at his home on March 15, 1923 and is buried in Pine Grove Cemetery in Wausau, WI.Top

9 Daniel L.
Plumer

• 1883
• 1882

See Below
8

John Leahy

John E.
Leahy

• 1881
• 1880
• 1879

John Egan Leahy was born in Dover, New Hampshire on February 15, 1842. With his parents, he settled near Waterloo, WI in 1859. During that time he attended the UW at Madison for five years. When the Civil War broke out, he enlisted in Company E, 35th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry Volunteers and was elected first lieutenant of the company. He was soon promoted to Captain of the unit and was later discharged in Texas in the spring of 1866. His intent was to stay in the South and produce cotton, but after a short time, he came home for a visit where he met an old friend who was working in the Pinery. He visited the region and soon moved to Stevens Point for a year. He then moved to Wausau and entered the lumber business, focusing first on the Trappe River.

John Leahy was married in Wausau on December 31, 1872 to Mary D. McCrossen, from Linfield, New Brunswick.

John Leahy was elected mayor of Wausau in 1879 and was re-elected in both 1880 and 1881. Historians agree that the three years of service marked the beginning of a new era for Wausau, as expansion had set in. The Wisconsin Valley Railroad extended its line to Merrill; the Milwaukee, Lake Shore & Western Railway reached the City; several new sawmills were built or expanded; Murray Manufacturing Company and other manufacturers were prospering; the city infrastructure was expanded; and a general business revival continued, along with advancing prices fueled by high demand for products and services.

In 1882, in partnership with M.P. Beebe he built the Leahy & Beebe sawmill and operated it until 1890, when the partnership was dissolved and the mill sold to Jacob Mortenson. Also in 1882, Mr. Leahy was elected to the state assembly and in 1886, was elected to the state senate. As late as 1896, Mr. Leahy was still an effective campaign speaker in Marathon County.

John Leahy passed away on December 23, 1915. He is buried in Pine Grove Cemetery in Wausau, WI.Top

7

D. L. Plumer

Daniel L.
Plumer

• 1878

Daniel Longfellow Plumer was born in Epping, Rockingham County, New Hampshire, on July 3, 1837, the son of Abraham and Sarah (Longfellow) Cilley Plumer. He was educated at Epping, Nottingham and the Academy at New London, NH. When his school days were over, Daniel prepared for the future by learning civil engineering. He came to Wisconsin, settled in Wausau in 1857, and started working at lumbering and became interesting in timber lands and the manufacturing of lumber until 1890. He started his career as a surveyor and the reliability of his work recommended him to town and county authorities for making needful surveys. His work took him into the northern regions of the state and he soon became familiar with the resources of central and northern Wisconsin

In early 1867 he started a private bank, doing a brokerage business with the Bank of Marshall & Ilsley of Milwaukee and after a couple of years, he, George & Willis C. Silverthorn opened a regular bank, doing business under the name of Silverthorn & Plumer. This bank was later incorporated as the First National Bank of Wausau in 1882. Mr. Plumer was president of this bank since its organization and he had other interests, serving as president of the Northern Chief Iron Company, a corporation that owned extensive iron ore mines on the Gogebic range in northern Wisconsin. In politics, Mr. Plumer was a Democrat and on many occasions he was honored by the party. For seven years he was supervisor of the village of Wausau; he served one term as a member of the Legislature of Wisconsin; three terms as mayor of Wausau; many years as county surveyor; and for six years was a member of the Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin.

In 1869 Mr. Plumer was married in Schenevus, NY on September 13, 1869 to Miss Mary Jane Draper, the daughter of Josiah Draper of Otsego County, NY. From this marriage, they had one son, who died in infancy.

Daniel L. Plumer died on November 20, 1920 following an illness of several years. He is buried in Pine Grove Cemetery in Wausau, WI.Top

6

John C. Clarke

John C.
Clarke

• 1877

John C. Clarke was a Welshman born on February 17, 1831 on the Isle of Anglesea, an island in the Irish Sea off the northwest coast of Wales. At age fourteen, the future judge and mayor of Wausau left his home and, unaccompanied by his parents, sailed for America. He stayed briefly in Dane County in southern Wisconsin before moving north into the Pinery to make his way in the lumber business. He first arrived at Big Bull in November 1845.

For the next six years, this young man rafted the river and rode the wanigans as a cook until he got his chance to run a saw mill in 1851. For the next nine years he split his time between operating a saw mill and piloting rafts on the Wisconsin River. In 1860, he managed to buy a saw mill of his own. It was the second mill built by Charles Stevens, located on the island which forms the center of Wausau, and which came to be known as Clarke’s Island.

During his life, he was honored by many offices of trust. In 1859 he was elected sheriff of Marathon County; from 1863-1865 he was chairman of the county board; from 1856-1864 he was clerk of the school board; was a trustee of the village board in 1861; from 1872-1874 he was a member of the city council; in 1876 he was a delegate to the democratic national convention; during the year 1877-1878 he was mayor of the city of Wausau and a member of the assembly in 1882; from 1859-1892 he was municipal judge of Marathon County; in 1893 he was postmaster at Somo, Lincoln County.

Mr. Clarke was one of the survivors of the Newhall House fire horror that occurred on January 10, 1883. He had placed two of his daughters in school at Oconomowoc and was returning to Wausau when he stopped for the night at the Newhall House in Milwaukee. The fire broke out at 4 AM and Mr. Clarke was awakened by the ringing of a fire bell, and when he arose, he found the room full of smoke and the fire roaring in the elevator shaft. From previous observation he noticed a fire escape near his room and remembered that. He dressed and crawled on his hands and knees, to avoid the smoke as much as possible, to the window and kicked the window out. The Madison Square Theatre Company’s troupe was staying at the house, and before descending the ladder, he directed members of the company where to find the fire escape. Over seventy people perished in that catastrophe.

In his life, Mr. Clarke was married three times; first to Anna Margaret Gibson from Wales in 1853, who died within two months of their wedding; second to Rhoda Jane Putnam from Sycamore, IL on October 31, 1854, with whom he had eleven children. She was the grand-daughter of Israel Putnam of Revolutionary war fame; and third in 1899 to Louisa Jane Walworth, grand-daughter of the man for whom Walworth County is named.

John Clarke passed away on December 14, 1906. He is buried in Pine Grove Cemetery in Wausau, WI.Top

5

Bartholomew Ringle

Bartholomew
Ringle

• 1876

Bartholomew Ringle was born at Ingweiler, Land Comisariat Zweilbrucker, Rhein Bairen, Germany on October 16, 1814 and was educated there. He was trained in Germany as an attorney. Bartholomew Ringle was married in Germany in 1834 to Magdalena Pick, who was born in the same area as Mr. Ringle. They had twelve children, two of which died in infancy. He emigrated to Germantown, Washington County, WI in 1846, living there about two years, then moved to Herman, Dodge County until Spring 1859, when he came to Wausau where he was instrumental in getting the county settled and organizing towns around the county.

Mr. Ringle was Postmaster for six years, town clerk, chairman of the Board and Justice of the Peace for the town of Herman. He also served as county judge for 20 consecutive years. For six years he was clerk of the Board of Supervisors, president of the village, justice of the peace, and police justice. He was a member of the state Assembly in 1864, 1872, 1875, 1876 and 1877. Mr. Ringle served one year as mayor in 1876.

Mr. Ringle was admitted to the bar in 1874 and his practice was confined to land and tax matters, including tax abstracts, tax paying, and lumber. He was serving in the legislature in 1872 when Wausau became a city and he was instrumental in getting our first city charter granted under which the city was governed for several years.

Bartholomew Ringle died at home, at his desk, on October 27, 1881. He is buried in Pine Grove Cemetery in Wausau, WI. In his day, Mr. Ringle was considered to be the most influential German citizen in this area. According to published reports, "this city never saw a larger funeral."Top

4

Charles Hoeflinger

Charles
Hoeflinger

• 1875

Charles "Carl" Hoeflinger was born in Obermarchtahl, Germany on September 13, 1832, the son of Joseph and Josephine Hoeflinger. He spent his early youth in Germany and as a young boy he ran a real-estate business for his uncle. In 1854, at age 22, he immigrated to America. He first lived in Fond du Lac but soon moved to Stevens Point and found work in the U.S. Land Office, where he stayed until 1857.

Mr. Hoeflinger moved to Wausau in 1857 and in 1859 was appointed county treasurer. His outstanding service was appreciated and he was elected to another two-year term. He ran again for county treasurer in 1863 but lost in a highly contested election. In 1865 he once again ran for the same post, was re-elected and served several successive terms. At the same time he also served as the City treasurer. He served on the Wausau City Council, and was elected to the State Legislature for several terms, where he was very prominent. He served one term in 1875 as mayor of Wausau.

After leaving public service, Mr. Hoeflinger entered the real estate business after he purchased over 300 acres of land from the Wausau Land Office. With these interests, he was a life member of he State Agricultural Society.

Charles Hoeflinger first married Antoinette Krembs and they had five children. Tragically Ms. Krembs died after the birth of her fifth child. Even more tragically, four of the five children died before the age of three. In 1864, Mr. Hoeflinger married his first wife’s sister, Anna Krembs. Together they had six children, one of which died as an infant.

Charles Hoeflinger died from stomach cancer on September 21, 1880 at age 48. He is buried in Pine Grove Cemetery in Wausau, WI.Top

3 August
Kickbusch

• 1874

See Below
2

Jacob Paff

Jacob
Paff

• 1873

Jacob Paff was born in Prussia on November 5, 1824 and emigrated to the U.S. in 1849, settling in Wausau. He was employed as a construction worker, building houses and mills, for seven years before opening a tailor shop and general merchandise store at 218 Third Street. After sixteen years in that business, Mr. Paff became involved in both insurance and lumbering. In 1879 he dropped the insurance business and concentrated on lumbering.

He was married in Wausau on January 20, 1856 to Sophie Louise Doell, also born in Prussia, and together they had five children. Mr. Paff served as county treasurer for two years, county clerk for two years, Mayor of Wausau for one term, and was a member of the county board for several years. As a testament to his integrity, he was affectionately referred to as “Honest Jake Paff.”

Mr. Paff passed away in 1895 and his remains are interred in Pine Grove Cemetery in Wausau, WI.Top

1

August Kickbusch

August
Kickbusch

• 1872

August Kickbusch was born in Colberg, Province of Pomerania, Prussia, Germany on October 15, 1828, the son of Martin F. and Katrina (Koahn) Kickbusch. August attended the district schools of his local area, then learned the trade of a brick manufacturer, a job he worked in Germany until 1857. August married Miss Matilda Schochow, daughter of Ernest and Mina Schochow. August and Matilda raised six children from this marriage, the first one born in Germany before the family immigrated to the US.

In 1857, The Kickbuschs migrated via Quebec to Milwaukee, WI, where they joined August’s parents. They had crossed the Atlantic Ocean two weeks earlier. Three days after arriving in Milwaukee, August started on foot for Wausau walking the entire distance. There he purchased 354 acres of land in Hamburg Township. Unable to reach Hamburg, he returned to Milwaukee where he stayed for nearly three years. In 1860, Mr. Kickbusch purchased a wagonload of merchandise suitable for pioneer country, and drove to Wausau then called Big Bull. Selling these goods at a profit of $59, he returned to Milwaukee for his family and household goods. When they arrived at Wausau, he built a shanty on Clark’s Island. Here, he began a general trading business, buying furs from the Indians and shipping them to Milwaukee. Over the next several years, Mr. Kickbusch expanded his businesses to include brick manufacturing, lumbering, hardware, stove and crockery, grocery store, and more.

Mr. Kickbusch was soon very interested in the settlement of the county, and thought that the land was not filling up as rapidly as it should. On March 12, 1867, he took a trip to Germany, and in three months, recruited 702 people to migrate to Wausau. The steamer “America” was secured for this trip leaving from Bremen on May 29, 1867. This large party reached New York on June 12 and Wausau on June 20. August hired many of these people in his business enterprise and helped find jobs for most of the others. Many bought land and engaged in farming. From that time the county began to improve rapidly, and the great impetus which Mr. Kickbusch gave to this prosperity has been lasting.

For several terms, Mr. Kickbusch was president of the village, chairman of the county board, and was the first mayor of Wausau. He served as register of the United States Land Office and served on numerous boards of directors. His family attended St. Paul’s Evangelical Church. His wife Matilda died May 26, 1891. Arthur was later married to Miss Amelia Flohr, by whom he had two more children. August Kickbusch died on May 28, 1901 at age 73. He is buried in Pine Grove Cemetery in Wausau, WI.Top

Copyright (c) 2014 Wausau Wisconsin