Permits are required for the following:
- New construction or an addition to a building.
- Alterations/remodeling (kitchen cabinets, drywalling, etc.).
- Construction of a detached garage, lean-to, storage building, gazebo, etc., or any additions or alterations thereto. This includes placement of pre-fab sheds, and buildings built off-site. NOTE: canopy (tent-like) structures are not allowed.
- Construction or reconstruction of a deck, stoop, porch, or ramp.
- Residing of a building. (Make sure house numbers get reinstalled upon completion.)
- Installation/replacement of roofing (shingles, redecking, etc.).
- Shingles can be installed over no more than one layer of existing shingles if approved by the Building Inspector.
- Metal roofs are NOT allowed on residential buildings in the City unless they meet certain guidelines and are approved on an individual case-by-case basis by the Inspections staff. Metal roofs using corrugated panels or exposed fasteners will not be approved for use on residential buildings.
- Replacement of windows and doors. (Exception: you are allowed to replace two windows or doors without a permit provided they are the same size and type as existing.)
- Installation of new windows. (Exception: a permit is not required for sash replacement only.)
- Installation of electrical circuitry.
- Installation or replacement of plumbing fixtures (where piping needs to be reconstructed during replacement of the fixture).
- Installation or replacement of heating units.
Installation of air conditioning units. (Exception: a permit is not required for window-mounted units.)
- Construction or installation of a swimming pool.
- Construction of a retaining wall (4' or more in height—from ground level).
- Demolition of a building.
- Construction, replacement or expansion of a fence (permits required effective April 1, 2014). There are regulations regarding height and location; contact the Division of Inspection, Zoning and Electrical Systems at 715.261.6780.
- Request to Combine Parcels
Permits are required not only to ensure your project meets City zoning regulations and complies with City and State codes, but also lets us assist you in achieving a project that is safe and structurally sound.
Permits are not required for:
- Replacement of a light fixture or an electrical outlet.
- Interior painting or wallpapering.
- Resurfacing an existing driveway.
- Pouring of a concrete patio or walkway.
When can you obtain a permit?
The inspectors are typically in the office between 8:00–9:00 a.m. and 12:30-1:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, to issue permits and answer any questions you may have regarding your proposed project. The remainder of the work day, they conduct on-site inspections. However, if these times are not convenient for you, contact the Division of Inspection, Zoning and Electrical Systems at 715.261.6780, and they are generally able to make other arrangements for you to meet with their staff.
Applications and Payment of permits can be completed online at Evolve.