Will the City locate my property lines?  

The City of Wausau does not assist home owners in locating property irons, surveying private property, or locating property lines between private properties. A property corner, iron or line can ONLY be determined or verified by a survey. The City recommends property owners consider retaining the services of a private land surveyor if property corners or property lines must be accurately determined. Also, legal advice regarding property ownership and land disputes should be discussed with your attorney.

The City will assist property owners in identifying the location of public right-of-way.
My neighbors and I would like to have our alley paved. What do we do?
Property owners can begin the process to have an alley paved by submitting a petition to the Engineering Department. Because special assessments are levied to abutting property owners when an alley is paved, there is a statutory process which must be followed. Please see the General Procedures for additional information.
The alley in my block is no longer being used. Can it be vacated?
Information on the alley vacation process is available PDF.
I’d like to have a block party. What do I do?
A Block Party Permit can be obtained for a residential neighborhood block party. The current fee is $31.50. Any other events requiring a street closure should obtain the appropriate permit from the Clerk/Customer Service Office. Larger events, even though the organizers may call it a block party, cannot be approved with a Block Party Permit.
Where can I report unmowed grass/weeds at a property?
Complaints about weeds/grass which exceeds one foot in height can be reported to the Inspections Department at 715/261-6780. The property will be inspected and a notice issued to the property owner. If the grass is not mowed by a certain date, City crews will cut the grass and bill the property owner for the cost.
Who should I call about defective sidewalks or unshoveled sidewalks?
Call the Engineering Department at 715/261-6740 for sidewalk problems.
Defective sidewalk will be considered for replacement under the City’s annual sidewalk contract.
When reports of unshoveled/icy sidewalks are received the property will be inspected. The property owner will be sent a notice to remove the snow/ice within 48 hours. If it is not cleared, City crews will clear the walk and bill the property owner for the cost. The minimum charge is approximately $90 per lot. (If there are problems with snow/ice on sidewalks in the downtown, please call the Department of Public Works at 715-261-6960 Monday through Friday 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. After 4:30 p.m. or on weekends or holidays please call the non-emergency phone number for Marathon County Dispatch at 715-261-7795.)
My yard has been painted or flagged with different colors. What work is being done?
Utility companies have the right to work in the street right-of-way to lay or maintain their lines. Before work begins, the company calls Diggers Hotline who notifies other utilities of upcoming work. All the utility companies then mark their existing lines in the area. Gas lines are marked in yellow, telephone and cable in orange, electric in red, water in blue, sewer in green. (Temporary survey markings are pink.) To find out what work is being done, contact the utility companies.
When property owners have a need to dig or excavate in their yard, they should call Diggers Hotline, phone 800-242-8511, three working days in advance and the same markings will be made. There is no charge to property owners for this service.
Can I find out if a street is scheduled for future construction?
The City attempts to maintain a five-year schedule for street improvements. However, this list is frequently revised due to requests from property owners, accelerated deteriorating conditions, or budgets. In the spring of each year the Capital Improvements and Street Maintenance Committee will tentatively approve streets for construction the following year, and notices are sent to property owners who would be affected. Streets proposed for construction in 2020 will be posted in the spring.  The Engineering Department can be called at 715/261-6740 to find out if a street has been identified for future construction (although the actual year may be unknown) or to request that a street be added to the list.
What are special assessments?
See Frequently Asked Questions for information about special assessments.
Can I place a dumpster/construction equipment in the right-of-way (sidewalk or street)?
A Street Privilege Permit is required before a private party can place something in the public right-of-way. Permits are requested most often to park a dumpster, equipment, materials or construction trailer on the street, or to obstruct a portion of a sidewalk, while a building or remodeling project is underway. If at all possible, efforts should be made to place the dumpster or construction trailer/equipment on private property rather than on the street as there is a $75.00 fee, along with insurance and bond requirements which must be met.
Who can I hire to do concrete/asphalt work at my property?
Property owners who wish to have concrete or asphalt work done in the right-of-way abutting their property must hire a contractor licensed by the City to do so. Examples of work within the right-of-way include drive approaches, curb and gutter, and sidewalk. Contractors are not required to be licensed to perform concrete or asphalt work on private property, such as for driveways, sidewalk immediately adjacent to a house, or patio. A licensed contractor must be hired only if the work to be done is within the right-of-way.
Why doesn’t the City post “Children at Play” signs?
An often heard request concerns the posting of generalized warning signs with “Slow-Children at Play” or other similar messages. Parental concern for the safety of children in the street near their home, and a misplaced but widespread public faith in traffic signs to provide protection often prompt these requests. There has been no factual evidence to show the success of such signs in reducing vehicle speeds. Studies have shown that many types of signs attempting to warn of normal conditions in residential areas have failed to achieve the desired benefits. If signs lead parents and children to believe they have an added degree of protection, which the signs do not and cannot provide, a great disservice results. Because of these serious considerations, the City does not post, and Federal standards discourage, “Children at Play” signs. Children should not be allowed to play within or too close to streets (or alleys). The sign has long been rejected since it is a direct and open suggestion that this behavior is acceptable.
What is the Capital Improvements and Street Maintenance (CISM) Committee?
The Capital Improvements and Street Maintenance Committee is a standing committee of the Common Council. The members are Gary Gisselman (Chairman), Lisa Rasmussen, Mary Thao, Karen Kellbach and Rebecca McElhaney. The Committee’s regular meetings are held on the second Thursday of the month at 5:30 p.m. in the Council Chambers of City Hall. The Committee addresses things such as: purchase and sale of property; plats; street and other capital improvements; official city map hearings; alley and street vacations; deeds and easements; annexations; special assessments.