Where is the City Attorney’s Office located?
Second floor of City Hall at 407 Grant Street, Wausau, WI. The telephone number is 715-261-6590.

I am a resident of Wausau and need legal advice, can I speak with the City Attorney about my situation?
No, the City Attorney only provides advice to the City department heads on City matters, she does not provide advice on personal matters.

If I can’t get legal advice from the City Attorney where can I get legal advice?
The State Bar of Wisconsin Lawyer Referral and Information Service can put you into contact with a private attorney with a short free consultation. LRIS can be reached at 1-800-2361127 or www.wisbar.org/lris. They will refer you to a private attorney.

  • Wisconsin Judicare, Inc. provides legal assistance for low income individuals in family law, disabilities or other matters. Wisconsin Judicare, Inc. is located at 300 3rd St # 210, Wausau, WI 54403-5400 and by calling (715) 842-1681 or going to www.judicare.org.
  • The Aging and Disability Resource Center can assist elderly or disabled people and can be reached at 715-261-6070, is located at 1000 Lake View Drive, Wausau, WI 54403 or on the internet at www.adrc-cw.com.
  • Information for Landlords and Tenants can be found at the Wisconsin Consumer Protection Hotline at 800-422-7128 (located in Madison, WI) or at http://datcp.wi.gov/ .

I have received a municipal citation in the City of Wausau, what do I do?
On the bottom of every citation is a section that tells you how to plead “not guilty” or “no contest” to the citation. The amount due may be paid at the Wausau City Hall, 407 Grant Street, Wausau, WI on the first floor. To contest the citation you should appear in person at your Initial Appearance, (date and time listed on the upper portion of the citation). If you have questions about your citation, you may call the issuing entity, such as the Wausau Police Dept. Wausau Police Dept. can be reached at 715-261-7800.

On the date set for your Initial Appearance you will be asked how you wish to plead the citation. If you wish to contest the citation, the case will be set for a pretrial conference with the Assistant City Attorney on another date. That will be the date and time that you discuss your citation with the Assistant City Attorney. If a resolution is not reached the case will be set for a court trial in Municipal Court. This is the date and time that you would bring witnesses and evidence to present to the Municipal Court Judge. For more information please go to www.ci.wausau.wi.us/Departments/MunicipalCourt.

I can’t make my court date, what do I do?
To request a change in your court date you must contact the Wausau Municipal Clerk of Court at Wausau City Hall 407 Grant Street, Wausau, WI 54403, in writing. Telephone requests will not be accepted, all requests must be made in writing. You must get your request filed in time for the judge to make a decision prior to the court date.

Where do I pay my citation?
In person at the Customer Service windows on the first floor of City Hall or through the mail by sending a check or money order to Wausau City Hall 407 Grant Street, Wausau, WI 54403. Please write the citation number on your check or money order.

How do I dispute a parking ticket?
Go to the City Webpage at www.ci.wausau.wi.us/Services/Parking/DisputeaTicket which gives you step by step instructions on how to dispute your parking ticket.

I am having a dispute with my neighbor, can the City Attorney give me advice or assist in getting the dispute resolved?
No, matters between neighbors are private and the City Attorney’s office will not become involved unless citations have been issued.