407 Grant Street
Wausau WI 54403-4783
The Assessment Department has the statutory duty to value all taxable real and personal property in the City of Wausau for ad valorem tax purposes while maintaining a level of assessment that is within ten percent of the statutory required “Full Market Value.” “Full Market Value” is the cash price a property would bring in a competitive and open market. The total assessed value of all taxable real and personal property in the City of Wausau as of January 1, 2015 is $2,647,764,700.
- Review Guide (2010 | 2009 | 2008)
- Assessment Search is available online.
- Pre-Appointment Questionnaire online.
- All payments are made at the Clerk Customer Service Office at City Hall.
The Wisconsin Constitution, Article VIII, Section 1, provides for uniformity of assessments. The assessor is charged with the task of determining the fair market value of your property made in accordance with Chapter 70 of the Wisconsin Statutes which requires all property subject to assessment to be valued by the assessor in the manner specified in the Wisconsin Property Assessment Manual from actual view or from the best information that the assessor can practicably obtain, at the full value which could be ordinarily obtained at a private sale. These property values are made by state-certified assessors, and every effort is made to achieve the greatest possible degree of uniformity.
The PRELIMINARY 2016 Assessments are available for viewing online at:
- Last day to file Personal Property returns- March 1st, 2016.
- Change of Assessment Notices were mailed Sept 14th, 2016.
- Open Book period: Sept 19 thur 23, 2016.
- First Meeting of the Board of Review (BOR): Thursday Sept 29th, 2016.